Thursday 29 March 2012

Walsall -The Leather Goods Town

For a project at uni we were to explore a place and create something that communicates that certain place in any form of media/design. This project would be our 'Sense of Place'.

For my 'Sense of Place', I decided to use the town from which I come from; Walsall. Walsall has a lot of history in the Leather business and still has today. Not a lot of people are aware of this and I decided my challenge was to put Leather back on the map for Walsall. I was able to visit a current Saddle factory that are situated in my hometown and talk to people who work in the industry and really see the industry part of their lives. Many have been working there since they were little which helped me find out how the industry has changed and what got them into the game.

With all the information i got from talking to the workers I also took photographs of them working and the different areas in which help make a Leather Saddle. After gathering all the images taken and the information I decided to create a book. The book would show the stages of creating a Saddle and with comments from the workers.

front


























back

The final outcome of the book was planned to look like part of a Saddle and going to the factory with a design in mind they created it for me out of Leather there and then which helped it look very professional and has gave it a perfect finish. I'm really happy with the final outcome and hope to see this book go further in putting Leather back on the map for Walsall.

No comments:

Post a Comment